The Regional Water Authority (RWA) is pleased to release a second foundational document for the Sacramento Regional Water Bank (Water Bank), marking another significant step forward in defining the organization, management, and operation of the Water Bank to enhance climate resiliency and environmental stewardship in the Sacramento region.
Titled “Governance: Organizational Framework, Functions, and Associated Roles and Responsibilities,” this document delineates the essential functions and activities vital for the successful implementation of the Water Bank. It introduces an organizational framework and outlines associated roles and responsibilities embedded within the Water Bank’s structure.
You can read the full document here. Highlights include:
- Functional Areas: The document categorizes necessary activities into four functional areas—Policy and Legal, Operations, Administrative, and Outreach activities. These are informed by established guidelines and regional experiences, particularly from recent groundwater substitution transfers.
- Organizational Framework: The Water Bank’s implementation activities are envisioned to be carried out by three primary parties: Participating Agencies, Coordinating Body, and Planning/Technical Support. Importantly, the framework is designed to facilitate effective collaboration without overshadowing or restricting the autonomy of existing agencies.
- Roles and Responsibilities: Detailed tables in the document outline the roles and responsibilities of each party across various implementation activity groupings. This transparency aims to foster clear accountability and efficient collaboration.
- Key External Entities: The Water Bank will engage with external entities such as banking partners, regulatory authorities, and stakeholders, with the document defining the roles of these entities.
The “Governance: Organizational Framework, Functions, and Associated Roles and Responsibilities” document is part of a series aimed at introducing and explaining the processes and considerations involved in implementing the Water Bank. The documents cover different aspects:
- Vision and Strategy: Released in June 2023, outlining goals, objectives, principles, and constraints. You can find the GOPC document here.
- Structure: The current document, focusing on the organizational framework, functions, and associated roles and responsibilities.
- Operations Support Tools: Will cover water accounting, monitoring, and reporting.
- Agreements and Finance: Will describe the framework to encourage water banking and establish roles and responsibilities in the financial aspects.
Please note that “Governance: Organizational Framework, Functions, and Associated Roles and Responsibilities” is “living document,” open to periodic revisions as Water Bank implementation progresses.
Learn more about the Water Bank at SacWaterBank.com.